Thursday, April 24, 2008

Ironman South Africa Champion!

Finally, no 4th place this weekend.

I did my first Ironman 3years ago in Lanzarote and finished 14th over 45mins behind the winner. From that day I have been working so hard and have seen improvement, but it is certainly not easy to win an Ironman race. But yeaterday in South Africa I pulled it off.
I had a good swim coming out in 2nd and riding with 1 guy at the front. After 60km I was actually leading the race by over 1min after a puncture by a strong riding Austrian left me all alone up front, I was riding a bit to hard and when Chaboud and then Tissink came past I was unable to match there pace. But I limited the gap to a reasonable time.

Onto the run and I didn’t feel brilliant, but did as the Doc prescibed, got some food and drink in over the first 2km, then got going and gradually the gaps strated coming down, I moved to 4th then to 3rd then I could see 2nd, then with 8km to go I coaught Tissink and was in the lead. But he was tough and hung on with me for another 4km and then with 5km to go I gave it a surge and I was alll alone and then ran as hard as I could to the finish.

The sense of satisfaction and happiness I felt was incredible and only matched by when Bella(my hero) won a sprint. I neally killed her I was hugging her so hard as she crossed the line.
Well what a day for us both.

Thank you to everybody for all there congrats, it is very much appreciated. And thanks to Doc and my team mates.

I didn’t have to do a speech at the awards, but did a dance instead.

A really big thankyou to Craig and Leisel and there 3 wonderful kids for looking after us so well all week, you are very special people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home